Monday, April 16, 2012

Final Art Show piece completed!


After working over 261 hours here is my final render of my 3D Rendered Still Life I created for the Full Sail Staff 3D Arts Show. The title is "Cecil C." my grandfathers name. It is comprised of objects found in his basement and memories of being a kid growing up around him. He was into Ham Radio, did black and white TV repair, and worked for a laundry company his whole life. I considered it a portrait of my memories of him.


 I created everything in the image- modeled, textured, lit, and rendered using Maya/ Mental Ray- Photoshop for the light bloom FX's. Final render size is 43in x 23in or 12900pixels by 6933pixels at 300 dpi


Modeled, textured, lit, and rendered using Maya/ Mental Ray- Photoshop for the light bloom FX's. Final render size is 43in x 23in or 12900pixels by 6933pixels at 300 dpi


Occlusion Render- to show off the models I created. I did not use this occlusion in the final image.
The family at the show- Over 261 hours of work on the project in two months means a lot of time away from them. Mostly I tried to work from 9pm- 5am. Then went back to work at 9am until 6pm to do the normal school stuff.

 My favorite comment was from my 5 year old son Jonas- "Wow, that is cool daddy!" that eased the stress of the last two weeks. Hopefully, they will be inspired to be 'Makers' as well!

Some close-ups of my favorite parts


Sort of hidden-Time for completion is in the upper left section of the wood. 261:38:05 in under two months

You will also see string run throughout the image. This is Reference to my grandfathers unique ability to have ropes and strings all over the basement that turned on lights. 

Glossy glass- Yes double cola is a real drink. Taste like aspirin and cola mix...pretty awful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Cola

My grandfathers Hamm radio call name was Dollar Spending Yankee- so I created this elixir bottle and added one of his favorite sayings- "You are going to have to sharpen your pencil and get that price down"- which he used when purchasing anything.

 I also added a self portrait drawing my son Jonas did in the shadow of the bottle.



I like the way the copper wire turned out. Also in the upper right you can see a 'hand turkey' my two year old daughter Scarlett made at school peaking through.



The picture is Krauss Laundry 1924 which later became Pearl Laundry in Evansville , In. where my grandfather worked for over 30 years




I had several people ask me about the Norman Rockwell photo- I put it in because he has always been a huge inspiration to me. The quality of his work, his routine an diligence to go into the studio at 8am and leave at 6pm every day, and his ability to make you believe/feel emotion and humor in his work are all attributes I am striving for! I have a picture of him in his studio posted above my monitors- it reminds me of what one artist can do over a lifetime of commitment to his craft.
http://www.nrm.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/NR_Pitter_pr_web.jpg


This is the upper left section- This shows a picture of my grandfather infront of his TV repair equipment, Ham radio ad, and upper left a Darth Maul picture my son Tatem did for me.
Photo of the print on the kitchen table and the frame I built the night before show- Notice the fans--waiting for the paint to dry before I mounted the picture. Props to my Dad for teaching everything I needed to know in my youth to later make a frame 24 hours before the show.















1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! The insane amount of exquisite detail in everything is staggering. I love that you also used your children's drawings! Do they have fun pointing them out? Gorgeous memories of epic proportions.

    ReplyDelete